The end of another calendar year brings memories of years past and hope for the future. The last few months of every year are full of holiday planning and festive merriment. Golfers have much to be thankful for during this time of year so now is the time to take a moment to reflect.
- Take advantage of these few days before snow closes the local course
- Freezing cold temperatures bring out hand warmers and winter golf gloves
- Shortest day of the year is coming soon and days will start getting longer again
- This longstanding Thanksiving golf tradition is no more. The Skins Game was once the last unofficial PGA event after the end of the regular season. Tour favorites including Fred Couples, Tom Watson, Lee Trevino and Tom Watson would ascend on the Palm Springs desert golfing community for a weekend of golf where players competed for prize money on each hole. The last Skins Game was held at Indian Wells Golf Resort in 2008.
Discounts and Specials
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday offer great deals on golf gear including equipment, apparel and shoes. Itís a good time to take advantage of discounted items for yourself but be careful of buying gifts for others as preference of golf equipment is very personal and specific.
- Discounted tee times during the Thanksgiving weekend and winter months are prevalent to get golfers out to the course during the traditionally slow time of year. If your course is open during winter itís a great time to get out and take advantage of some good deals on tee times.
During this holiday season, golfers and golf fans are reminded to reflect on the joy this wonderful game gives and to be thankful that we have this sport in our lives. Golf can be part of your life experiences for your entire lifetime and is passed on to future generations through ongoing support of the game. Golf is a giving game. Watching the pros play golf gives an important golf lesson every time they swing the club. Teaching young players golf traditions and rules of the game teaches them respect and etiquette.