Garlic Lime Pork Chops with Zucchini & Red Onion Sauté is a great dish to prepare on a weeknight; it can be prepared from start to finish in about 30 minutes and is colorful and delicious. It’s also a great way to use up that never-ending zucchini that is still thriving in the garden (and piling up in the fridge and on the kitchen counters) to advantage.
Quick Curried Zucchini Rice is a great accompaniment, and can be steaming in the rice cooker while you’re preparing the pork chops. This rice will give you an extra dose of zucchini, but by the time the rice has finished cooking, the evidence will be impossible to detect.
Boneless pork loin chops require only a short time to cook, but are tender and juicy; make sure you don’t overcook them. Alternately, you can substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which are equally delicious.
Garlic Lime Pork Chops with Zucchini & Red Onion Sauté
4 4 ounce boneless pork loin chops
Rind of 1 lime
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground mixed pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup water
3 medium zucchini
1 large red onion
- Place the pork chops flat in a shallow dish; poke each in several places with a fork.
- Whisk together the lime rind, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Pour the mixture over the pork chops; set aside while chopping the vegetables.
- Cut the zucchini in 1/2" wide rounds.
- Cut the onion into quarters, then each quarter into 3 wedges.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the pork chops and brown well on both sides; turn down the heat and cook for a minute or two more, or until the pork is barely cooked through, but still juicy.
- Remove the chops to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into the skillet and add the onion; turn the heat to high and stir, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan, for 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and stir until the zucchini is crisp tender, turning the heat down if the liquid is evaporating quickly.
- Transfer the zucchini mixture to the serving plate with the pork chops; pour any pan juices over the chops.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 301 Calories from Fat 150
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 50% Protein 36% Carb. 14%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 71 mg
Sodium 630 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 30% Calcium 0% Iron 9%