Guest Author - Rose Mary
With the amount of mail, offers and other paperwork floating around our homes today, it is easy to lose the most important documents regarding our homes. Organizing these papers and keeping them in one space is vital in case of emergencies. Having important papers available at all times can also save money when performing important transactions.
Here is a list of important home ownership documents to keep available are all times:
- the deed to your home
- the Title Insurance to your home
- the most recent property tax bill
- the Home Owners Insurance policy to your home
- the Flood Insurance policy, if applicable
- the Elevation certificate, if applicable
- the original or most recent survey to your home
- the most recent appraisal to your home
- the blueprints to your home (if they are available)
- the blueprints to additions such as a pool
- any warranties related to your home such as Builder's Warranty
- any appliance warranties
- the most recent loan documentation regarding the mortgage to your home
- copies of the most recent inspections of the home
- any building permits relating to the home
- any termite inspections and bonds relating to the home
- any roof inspections
- receipts for the most recent roof replacement, if applicable
- receipts for new appliances such as central air conditioning and heating
- pictures of the exterior of the home including outdoor structures
- pictures of the interior of the home
Many of these documents are required if you are going to refinance. Having them easily available, such as title insurance, survey, elevation certificate and termite bonds, will save you money in this transaction. If you roof has been replaced, this receipt will save money on your home owners insurance. Keeping warranties handy will save time and money in the event that something breaks down. Many times we are unaware of how long a warranty is good for.
Pictures are necessary any time that you change home owner's insurance. Having them handy will make this transaction easier. Keeping a copy of pictures on your computer is convenient so that you can email them to an insurance agent.
It is a good idea to dedicate one file cabinet drawer for all of these documents. They will be easily accessible anytime you need them. In the case of an emergency, you can quickly grab all of them and know you have what you need.