Guest Author - Colleen Forgus
I recently received a copy of a book called “The Fatigue Solution” by Dr. Eva Cwynar. Fatigue is a common problem among people suffering with thyroid issues. But let’s face it, who among us hasn’t had periods of overwhelming fatigue, no matter what other underlying issues may be present. We live in a hectic world, where there never seems to be enough hours in the day to accomplish all that needs to be done.
Dr. Cwynar is an Endocrinologist, Metabolic Medicine Specialist and Internist. She is recognized as an expert in endocrine/hormone issues including the use of bio-identical hormones, female and male menopause, thyroid health and other metabolic functions.
“The Fatigue Solution” is a straightforward book, with a conversational approach that incorporates real life experiences, including Dr. Cwynar’s own experience with fatigue. Dr. Cwynar understands the frustration people experience when doctors tell patients that fatigue is just part of the aging process – and that they have to accept it. She rejects “acceptance” of fatigue and emphasizes the necessity to take a multi-pronged approach to correct fatigue. Ultimately, her suggestions are valuable to improve overall health – even if fatigue is not the primary complaint.
Dr. Cwynar offers an 8-step approach to combat fatigue:
• Feed Your Energy Furnace: This chapter is a discussion about how diet affects our metabolism; encourages eating a healthy diet of the right mix of protein, carbohydrates and fats; and touches on some of the foods that could be causing fatigue.
• Get Your Gut in Shape: This chapter builds on the importance of a healthy diet. It specifically addresses issues in the gut that can be causing fatigue such as candida, leaky gut syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome and toxins. Dr. Cwynar includes suggestions on healthy food choices to repair damaged digestive and liver tissues.
• Improve Your Sleep Habits: So obvious, but not always so simple – trouble sleeping is a problem that haunts many people. Dr. Cwynar reinforces the need to create an environment and habits that promote healthy sleep. She also addresses physical issues that impact how we sleep and supplements that can help promote restful, restorative sleep.
• Supercharge Your Sexuality: Dr. Cwynar discusses the benefits of a healthy sex life for both your mental and physical well-being. She addresses the real life demands on our time and hormonal issues that often interfere with making time for sex. As with all of the recommendations, she emphasizes the need to make YOU a priority – great advice!
• Move Your Body and Boost Your Metabolism: We all know exercising is important, but we often find too many reasons why we can’t get it done. Dr. Cwynar provides examples of many forms of exercise, including my favorite – burst training! You can accomplish a lot of exercise in a short period of time with burst training, but there are also examples of how exercise can be easily incorporated into your daily routine.
• Check Your Thyroid: Dr. Cwynar says, “If you want to see me get excited, start talking about the thyroid…. Maybe it’s because it’s so misunderstood, so underestimated, and in so many cases, just plain ignored.” This chapter includes a discussion of thyroid tests and why tests sometimes come back in the “normal” range when you know your thyroid is an not balanced. She briefly discusses thyroid medications and interactions with other medications and supplements. However, in her brief discussion of iodine, I found the information to be outdated. In this case, I believe Dr. Cwynar needs to re-examine iodine deficiency – bread no longer contains iodine, iodized salt is not enough, soils and food are lacking iodine.
• Prepare Yourself for “That Time of the Month”: Dr. Cwynar discusses how all of the hormones interact and addresses the special needs of peri-menopausal and menopausal women.
• Have Yourself Tested: In this chapter, Dr. Cwynar lists a variety of tests that can be conducted through a physician’s office or on your own with kits that can be purchased on-line. I was particularly interested in the Intracellular Vitamin Analysis, which analyzes a variety of vitamin and mineral levels and then addresses how specific deficiencies can be corrected.
Finally, Dr. Cwynar includes a chapter that contains recipes and menu suggestions.
Overall, The Fatigue Solution provides positive and helpful information to improve energy levels. Dr. Cwynar clearly understands fatigue issues and provides suggestions on how to re-gain high energy levels. There are no quick fixes or a simple vitamin pill that will provide a “cure”.
I received an unsolicited copy of The Fatigue Solution from Dr. Cwynar’s publicist and was not paid to write this review.
Please note that the information provided on the Thyroid Health site on Bella Online is for information and educational purposes only and may not be interpreted as medical advice.
Visit my website oneredpot.com - for tips on Food Health Lifestyle.