By late summer most gardens are over-producing zucchini, tomatoes, yellow squash, peppers, and even corn on the cob. Why not try a quick stir-fried medley of these vegetables? Calabacitas is a classic Mexican vegetable dish that contains all of these vegetables, plus some onion, garlic, and shredded cheese. Not only is this simple dish colorful and delicious, it goes great with almost any grilled meat, poultry and fish. It’s also a great side dish with fajitas, tacos, or burritos.
Prep time for chopping the vegetables is 10-15 minutes; cook time is less than that, so this fabulous vegetable dish can be served on busy weeknights. However, it’s special enough to be served to company.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, quartered, then sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups fresh corn , cut from the cob (3-4 ears)
1 pound small zucchinis, quartered lengthwise, then cut into 1/2" to 3/4" chunks
1 pound yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise, then cut into 1/2"-3/4" chunks
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (more or less to taste)
2 large tomatoes, diced
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the corn and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the zucchini, yellow squash, and jalapeno peppers.
- Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the squash chunks are crisp tender.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes. a
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the cheese over all and let sit in the pan until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 192 Calories from Fat 80
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 15% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 99 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 42% Vitamin C 99% Calcium 0% Iron 7%