Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- CNAnime Expo has announced has announced the guests for its upcoming event, which is taking place August 25-28, 2011 at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre South Building in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. This year's guests include Colleen Clinkenbears (star of RIN - Daughters of Mnemosyne), Jason Deline (star of Bakugan), Caitlin Glass (star of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), Mike McFarland (star of Dragon Ball Z), Shawn Meunier (star of Bakugan), Vic Mignogna (star of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood), Brina Palencia (star of Evangelion: 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance), Chris Sabat (star of Dragon Ball Z), Michael Sinterniklaas (star of Summer Wars and Slayers), Brad Swaile (star of Death Note), and Veronica Taylor (star of Pokemon).
- Anime News Network is reporting that the online schedule for the SyFy cable network is listing no anime series airing on the network after June 9th. The last anime listed on the schedule on June 9th are the seventh and eighth episodes of Monster and the fifteenth and sixteenth episodes of Star Blazers, and these airings start at 12:30 a.m.
- Aniplex of America, Inc. has announced that the Durarara!! anime series will begin airing on Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" block in June 2011. The 26 episodes of the series are scheduled to air in the Saturday evening programming block. Subsequent episodes in the English language dub thereafter will be made available online through AdultSwim.com.
- Aniplex of America, Inc. has announced that the company will be releasing the Rurouni Kenshin OVA series and movie on Blu-ray to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the franchise; the releases will be available through RightStuf.com and Bandai Entertainment's The Store on the same day as Japan. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal will be released on August 24, Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection will be released on September 21, and Rurouni Kenshin The Movie will be released on October 26. Trust & Betrayal includes four OVA episodes, has a runtime of 125 minutes. Reflection includes two OVA episodes, and has a runtime of 90 minutes. Aniplex is importing the Japanese editions of the Blu-ray discs, and each release will have exclusive packaging that features new illustration artwork by Atsuko Nakajima (Rurouni Kenshin OVA animation director/animator), as well an English translated booklet. These releases are digitally remastered and include both the English and Japanese audio with English subtitles, and will be distributed in limited quantities and sold through while supplies last. Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal will cost US$64.98, while the other two Blu-ray releases will cost US$54.98. Pre-orders for these releases begin on June 1, 2011.
- Anime Expo has announced that voice actress and singer Miyuki Sawashiro will be a guest at this year's convention. During her appearance, Sawashiro will sign autographs, attend a panel, and hold a meet-and-greet with fans at the convention. Her credits include Durarara!!, Arakawa under the Bridge, Beelzebub, Gosick, Kimi no Todoke, Letter Bee, and Persona -trinity soul-. In honor of Sawashiro's appearance, the convention will have a special screening of Arakawa under the Bridge. Anime Expo is taking place at the Los Angeles Convention Center from July 1-July 4, 2011.
- The New York Asian Film Festival has announced that the event will be hosting the North American premiere of Buddha, an anime film directed by Kozo Morishita that is based on the manga by Osamu Tezuka. Tezuka Osamu no Buddha - Akai Sabaku yo! Utsukushiku- is the first in a trilogy that follows the life and development of Gautama Buddha, the founder of the Buddhist religion. The film festival will be taking place July 1-14, 2011.
- AM2 has announced that the convention will be screening the 2009 anime film, Mai Mai Miracle, for those who purchased a "passport" (which provides priority access to events and other extras). The film is based on a novel by Nobuko Takagi. AM2 is taking place July 1-3, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center in California.
- FUNimation has announced that the company will be streaming all 202 episodes of One Piece it has dubbed in honor of the series' 500th episode. The episodes will be available on FUNimation's official One Piece website through Saturday, June 4 at 10:00 p.m. ET.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Durarara!! DVD Part 3||DVD|
|Guin Saga DVD Collection 2||DVD|
|Mazinkaiser SKL DVD||DVD|
|Yu Yu Hakusho Season 1 (Classic)||Blu-ray|
This week, I posted two new articles to the Anime site. The first is a review of Tokyo Godfathers. The second is a review of Arceus and the Jewel of Life. I added a Satoshi Kon shop to the Anime Shop, and this new section of the Anime Shop includes Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue, and Millennium Actress. Tokyo Godfathers is also an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Tokyo Godfathers is an anime film directed by Satoshi Kon.
Arceus and the Jewel of Life
Pokemon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life is the twelfth film in the Pokemon franchise, and it was directed by Kunihiko Yuyama.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the June 8th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com