Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Viz Media has announced that all 52 episodes of the MAR anime series are available on Netflix, and that the episodes are subtitled. The series is about a middle school boy with an overactive imagination, and he is summoned to the mythical world of MAR to stop the Chess Pieces (a group of rogue soliders) from destroying that world. MAR is rated TV-PG.
- FUNimation Entertainment, Eleven Arts and Cineplex Entertainment announced the list of 42 theaters that will be showing the Trigun: Badlands Rumble anime film across Canada on June 22, 2011. A complete list of the theaters can be found in the Anime forum.
- Viz Media is streaming the comedy-action anime series, Reborn on VIZAnime.com, as well as on the streaming content provider Hulu. Reborn, which is rated TV-14, is being presented uncut and subtitled. The first episodes were available immediately, and five new episodes will be uploaded each week.
- AniMinneapolis has announced that English dub voice actor Greg Ayres will be a guest as their upcoming convention. Ayres' credits include Koyuki in BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, Chrono in Chrono Crusade, Kaoru Hitachiin in Ouran High School Host Club, Negi Springfield in Negima!, and Yamazaki in Welcome to the NHK. AniMinneapolis is taking place July 8-10, 2011 at the Northland Inn in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Anime USA has announced that English dub voice actor Micah Solusod will be a guest at their upcoming convention. Solusod's credits include Malek Werner in Blassreiter, Soul Evans in Soul Eater, and Tsutomu Senkawa in Birdy the Mighty: Decode. Anime USA 2011 will be taking place November 18-20, 2011 at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City in Arlington, Virginia.
- Viz Media has announced that the company has been named at the exclusive U.S. product licensor for the anime series, Tiger & Bunny. The company will be showcasing the property to a variety of potential merchanise partners during the 2011 Licensing International Expo, which is taking place June 14-16, 2011 in Las Vegas.
- On June 2, 2011, United States Bankruptcy Judge Shelley Chapman ordered TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems to comply with an automatic stay on the licensing for the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime franchise. In her order, Judge Chapman says the owners cannot re-license the franchise or otherwise exercise control over rights to the franchise. Judge Chapman also said in her order that the trial on the franchise's licensing will proceed in two phases. The first phase will determine whether TV Tokyo and NAS' announced cancellation of 4Kids' license was valid. The second phase will determine whether 4Kids owes the owners money and exactly how much. 4Kids must respond to the lawsuit by June 10, followed by discovery, objections, and witness lists. The first phase of the trial is scheduled to begin on August 29, 2011.
- Nan Desu Kan has announced voice actors Tony Oliver, Leah Clark, Robert McCollum and Vic Mignogna will be appearing at their convention. Tony Oliver's credits include Rick Hunter in Robotech, Arsene Lupin III in Lupin III, Keiichi Morisato in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, and Hiromu Shinbo in Chobits. Leah Clark's credits include Nodoka Miyazaki in Negima!, Noah in Fullmetal Alchemist, Coby in One Piece, and Hikari Horaki in Evangelion 1.0 and Evangelion 2.0. Robert McCollum's credits include Goten in Dragon Ball GT, Curio in Romeo x Juliet, and Donquixote Doflamingo in One Piece. Vic Mignogna's credits include Edward Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Broly in Dragon Ball Z, Ikkaku Madarame in Bleach, and Tamaki Suoh in Ouran High School Host Club. Nan Desu Kan will be taking place September 9-11, 2011 at the Denver Marriott Tech Center.
- Otakon has announced that anime voice actor Jonny Yong Bosch will be making an appearance at this year's convention. His credits include Vash the Stampede in Trigun, Kaneda in Akira, Kiba in Wolf's Rain, Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach, Renton in Eureka Seven, and Lelouch Lamperouge in Code Geass. Otakon will be taking place July 29-31, 2011 at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Anime Midwest is a new Chicago area anime convention that's featuring panels, workshops, anime screenings, discussions, video game tournaments, contests, a Formal Cosplay Ball, and much more. Anime Midwest is taking place July 15-17, 2011 at the Pheasant Run Resort in St. Charles, Illinois. Registration starts at $25 through June 20th, then increases to $30 through July 10. Registration at the door wil be $35.
- Section23 Films has announced that the company is releasing the Glass Maiden anime series in conjunction with a new label called Maiden Japan. The two companies are planning to release this science fiction mystery anime on English-subtitled DVD and digital formats.
- Bandai Entertainment has announced that the Tekken: Blood Vengeance CG anime film will run in more than 375 American theaters in 3D on July 26 at 7:30 p.m. local time; the screening is a joint venture between Bandai Entertainment and NCM Fathom. The screening will also include a 20-minute special with interviews with the Tekken project director and screenwriter. Bandai also plans to release the film on DVD, but no release date has been announced.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Maid Sama! Collection 1||DVD|
|Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit Complete Collection||DVD|
|Queen's Blade 2: The Evil Eye Part 1||DVD|
|Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Student Council Saga||DVD|
|Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki Complete Collection||DVD|
|TO: Elliptical Orbit & Symbiotic Planet||DVD/Blu-ray Combo|
|Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE Season 1 S.A.V.E. Edition||Blu-ray|
|Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE Season 1 S.A.V.E. Edition||DVD|
This week, I posted two new articles to the Anime site. The first is a review of the Voltron Volume 8 DVD set. The second is a review of the Dairugger XV Volume 3 DVD set. I have added both Voltron Volume 8 and Dairugger XV Volume 3 to the Voltron/Golion/Dairugger XV section to the Anime Shop. I am also featuring Dairugger XV Volume 3 as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Voltron Volume 8
Voltron Volume 8 is a three-disc DVD set that includes the final sixteen episodes of the Vehicle Voltron series.
Dairugger XV Volume 3
Dairugger XV Volume 3 is a three-disc DVD that contains the final sixteen episodes of the series; this series is the original source material for what ended up becoming Vehicle Voltron in the United States.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the June 15th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com