Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- The distribution company GKids has signed a deal with Studio Ghibli to distribute 13 of the studio's anime films released between 1984 and 2002 in North America; these titles include Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away. GKids' deal include theatrical and non-theatrical distribution rights; Disney still retains the home video rights to these films. GKids will distribute the films with both English subtitles and dubbing. GKids is screening Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky for their 10th and 25th anniversaries, respectively, at the New York Film Festival; the festival runs from September 30 to October 16, 2011. The IFC Center will be holding a retrospective of Ghibli films from December 16, 2011-January 12, 2012. GKids is also planning to release some of the Studio Ghibli film in select theaters in the United States starting in late 2012.
- Anime-zing! has announced that their next convention will be taking place June 1-3, 2012 at the Clarion Hotel and Conference Center in Davenport, Iowa. Events for the next convention will include an expanded cosplay masquerade, a dealer's room, a rave dance, a formal ball, video gaming tournaments, guest discussions, panels, workshops, board gaming, collectible card gaming, anime screenings, and a hall cosplay contest. The convention also features a ConSuite hospitality suite offering attendees free ramen, free rice, and free soda all weekend. More information on Anime-zing! can be found at the convention's website: www.qcanimezing.com.
- Media Blasters has announced the English dub voice cast for the Squid Girl anime series. The voices are as follows: Christine Marie Cabanos as Squid Girl, Heather Pennington as Eiko, Jason Wishnov as Goro, Amanda C. Miller as Takeru, Shelby Lindley as Chizuru, Cristina Vee as Nagisa, Xanthe Huynh as Sanae, Laura Post as Cindy, Sarah Williams as Ayumi, Amanda Lee Noh as Mask Rider, Tony Oliver as Father, Lauren Landa as Announcer, Jonathan Meza as Devil Squid, Juicey Flannigan as Principal, Erika Harlacher as Customer, Matt Wolfrom as Customer, and Victor Sgroi as Customer. Tony Oliver is also serving as the Director/ADR Writer. The first Squid Girl DVD set, which includes the first six episodes of the series, is scheduled to be released in North America on September 27, 2011.
- Japan Flix is streaming Japanese movies and television shows from distributor Media Blasters on their website. Japan Flix is a digital distribution venture that makes Japanese films available for rent or purchase in the United States and Canada. Site members residing in those countries can rent and stream content for 1 day to 5 days; membership is free. Over the next couple of months, twenty titles will become available through this deal; one anime title announced as upcoming is Mazinkaiser SKL.
- The anime film Redline will be screened at the 6th annual Toronto After Dark Film Festival, and the screenings will be held at the Toronto Underground Cinema. The festival is taking place October 20-27, 2011.
- Bandai Entertainment announced at its Nan Desu Kan panel that the company's license for the Scrapped Princess anime series has expired, and that Bandai is not pursuing a renewal.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Dragon Ball Z Kai Season One Part Six||DVD|
|Dragon Ball Z Kai Season One Part Six||Blu-ray|
|Kekkaishi Set 2||DVD|
|MM! Complete Collection||DVD|
|Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 Complete Collection 1||DVD|
|Queen's Blade 2: The Evil Eye Complete Collection||DVD|
|Vandread Ultimate Collection Anime Classics Edition||DVD|
|Xenosaga Complete Series S.A.V.E.||DVD|
This week, I posted two new articles to the Anime site. The first is an overview article for Baka and Test. The second is an episode listing for the Pokemon episodes that take place in the Johto region. I have added words from Baka and Test to the list for the Anime word games, and Pokemon Heroes is being featured as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Baka and Test
Baka and Test – Summon the Beasts is an anime series based on a Japanese light novel series written by Kenji Inoue and illustrated by Yui Haga.
Pokemon Johto Region Episode Listing
This is a Pokemon episode listing that focuses on the seasons that take place in the Johto region, as well as the movies and television special that are considered to be part of this era.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the September 21st edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com