Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Jerry Fellows, a co-editor of Space Fanzine Yamato and a member of the early English-language anime fandom, passed away on August 30, 2011. Space Fanzine Yamato, a 44 page digest publication about the Space Battleship Yamato anime and its American adaptation, Star Blazers, debuted in February 1983; it was also one of the first English-language publications to cover anime. While a second volume was never released, but it developed into the online resource Space Webzine Yamato in 1995.
- Anime-SPARK! has announced that voice actors Quinton Flynn and Chris Rager will be guests at their upcoming convention. Flynn's credits include Kon from Bleach and Iruka and Deidara in Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. Rager's credits include Mr. Satan and King Yemma in Dragon Ball Z, and Arlong from One Piece. Anime-SPARK! is taking place February 16-19, 2012 at the Clarion Hotel and Convention Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- Nekocon has announced that Bandai producer Taku Otsuka and David Williams from Sentai Filmworks will be industry guests for their 2011 convention. Otsuka has worked on such titles as Tenchi Muyo!, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Lucky Star; he has been part of the US anime scene for over 15 years. Williams will be discussing the state of the industry, sharing sneak peeks of some upcoming titles, and answering questions about Sentai Filmworks. Nekocon is taking place November 4-6, 2011 at the Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton, Virginia.
- T3 Networks Inc., a film, media, licensing and distribution company, has announced that they have reached an agreement with Viz Media LLC for distributing anime television and films. T3 Networks Inc. will be expanding the television distribution of selected Viz Media series, including Naruto Shippuden, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan, Inuyasha: The Final Act, Naruto, Death Note, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, and Vampire Knight.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the 12-episode Rozen Maiden anime series, the 12-episode sequel series, Rozen Maiden: Traumend, as well as the two-episode OVA Rozen Maiden: Ouverture. Sentai will be streaming the series on "multiple digital outlets," and will be releasing all three series in a complete collection on DVD by Christmas. The OVA series will be released as a stand-alone DVD as well, and will feature an English dub by BangZoom! Entertainment.
- Nan Desu Kan has announced that Ryusei Nakao and Yutaka Yamamoto will be Japanese guests at their upcoming convention, and that domestic guests include Clarine Harp, Jamie Marchi, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh. Nan Desu Kan is taking place September 9-11, 2011 at the sold-out Denver Marriott Tech Center; two official overflow hotels have also sold out. This year, an attendance cap will be enforced and paid admission is required to be on hotel grounds. Both weekend and one day passes will be available for sale for $50 and $30, respectively.
- Anime News Network is reporting that FUNimation will be releasing The Legend of the Legendary Heroes anime series in Spring 2012 in a DVD/Blu-ray combo. According to the report, the release will include English dubbing and subtitles.
- FUNimation has announced that the English dub of Hetalia Paint it, White! will be making its debut at the Anime Weekend Atlanta convention, which is taking place September 30 through October 2, 2011 at the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel and Cobb Galleria Centre in Atlanta. The screening of the film is scheduled on September 30 at 6:00 p.m. EDT.
- Kawaii Kon has announced that voice actors Vic Mignogna, Todd Haberkorn, and Lisa Ortiz will be guests of honor at their 2012 convention. Mignogna's roles include Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Tamaki Suou in Ouran High School Host Club, and Broly in Dragon Ball Z. Haberkorn's roles include Allen Walker in D. Gray Man, Death the Kid in Soul Eater, and Natsu in Fairy Tail. Ortiz's credits include Lina Inverse in The Slayers, Tony Tony Chopper in One Piece, and Amy Rose in Sonic X. Kawaii Kon will be taking place March 16-18, 2012 at the Hawaii Convention Center.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Black Blood Brothers S.A.V.E. Edition||DVD|
|Black Blood Brothers S.A.V.E. Edition||Blu-ray|
|Bleach Uncut Box 10||DVD|
|Burst Angel Complete Series Anime Classics||DVD|
|Peacemaker Kurogane Complete Collection Anime Classics||DVD|
|To Love Ru Complete Collection||DVD|
This week, I posted two new articles to the Anime site. The first is a review of the Dragon Ball film, Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. The second is an overview article for Rideback. I have added words from Rideback to the list for the Anime word games, and the Dragon Ball Season Five DVD box set is featured as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Dragon Ball Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
Dragon Ball: Sleeping Princess in Devilís Castle is the second film released for the Dragon Ball franchise.
Rideback is an anime series based on a manga created by Tetsuro Kasahara.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the September 14th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com