Most days, when I sit down to pray, or when I get on my knees, I see only my need. I have in mind a list of problems—a grocery list. I see my personal physical needs, needs of my family, and community, and the world. I have a need to see justice in our nation and internationally. Some days I’m so disheartened by circumstances, I can only ask the Lord for help. And he answers.
God is merciful. He is faithful to answer prayer. (Philippians 4:6-7) I receive the answers and the longed for help in times of trouble. The answers are good and perfect, even if I sometimes don’t see the good in them at first.
God is the giver of all good and perfect gifts. They stream down from the Father, with no strings attached. (James 1:17)
I receive my gifts and am tempted to get up and go on with my day. But my God is more than a provider of gifts. Today I’ll put away the grocery list, and focus on the God behind the giving—the Creator. I think the more perfect gift, better than anything physical or emotional he can give me, will be a more intimate knowledge of him.
- God is holy. He is perfect and set apart. He is far more than anything good we see in this world, more holy than my understanding.
- He is my Rock. He is strong. I can count on the truth that he doesn’t change or move. What he does is perfect and never wrong. (Deuteronomy 32:4)
- God’s word is right and true. I can trust it. He loves justice. His love is strong and steady. (Psalm 33:4-5)
- He keeps his promises. I can count on him. There is no deceit in my Lord. There is no wickedness or evil in God. (Psalm 92:15)
- He is Light. In following him, I won’t stumble in the dark. He is holy. His message is always truthful. There is no darkness in him. There is no sin in him. There is no imperfection. (1 John 1:5)
I look out at this world where I see unkindness, injustice, minds dimmed by sin, darkened hearts, and just plain evil. If I follow the news of this world, I see only my need.
In following a holy God, I see kindness, mercy, redemption, light shining in the dark places, love, safety, truth, and faithfulness. I realize I am not in need. I am blessed by the Father.