I Won The Lottery
What would I do if I won the lottery? Have you played this game while waiting for the drawing?
- First, being practical, I would pay off my house. That would put an end to worries about the mortgage. Let's pay off the car, too.
- Of course, I'd take care of family. I'd make sure the homes of my children and close relatives were free and clear. No more worries for them. It feels great to be generous.
- And while I was feeling magnanimous, I would give to the church, and to several charities.
- Having taken care of the necessities, I might buy gifts for myself. Another house? Possibly on the beach in some warm and sunny location? A new car. A vacation.
In my imagination, I would never worry about anything again. I would be happy for the rest of my life. Although statistics tell us that hasn't proved true for many previous winners. The extra cash often comes with an extra dose of worry. Most report higher happiness levels for a few months but soon return to previous level. The windfall doesn't change who we are. It doesn't change where we put our faith. If that faith is in money and in things, the satisfaction is short lived.
Whether I live at a poverty level or among the wealthy, my God has already promised to take care of any worries I may have. His promises are listed in his word.
Matthew 6:25-34 tells me to stop being anxious about life. Jesus said do not worry about what I'll eat or drink. God takes care of the birds. They don't farm or store food in barns, but the heavenly Father feeds them. And I'm more valuable to the Father than the birds.
I'm not to worry about the clothes I wear. God clothes the flowers, who don't bother with designer dresses.
Philippians 4:6-7 reminds me do not be anxious about anything. Make my requests known to God by prayer and supplication, being thankful for everything he provides. And much more valuable than things of this world is the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding. It will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus.
It turns out I'm already more blessed than any lottery winner.
- John 3:16 - God has given me eternal life-free of charge.
- Philippians 4:19 - My God will supply every need according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 6:23 - Instead of holding me accountable for my sin, God has given me the free gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ.
- James 1:17 - Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.
- John 4:10 - Jesus provides living water-perpetual refreshment.
- 2 Timothy 1:7 - When I feel weak and needy, God reminds me I?m not. He has given me a spirit of power and of love and discipline.
- Matthew 11:28 - I sometimes let this world get to me. I get tired. But Jesus says all I have to do is go to him and he will give me rest.
- Ephesians 2.8 - For by grace I have been saved through faith. And I didn't do anything to earn it. It is the gift of God.
Praise God. I'm already a big winner.
You Should Also Read:
Decision Making Priorities
Biblical Guidance System
How to Beat Temptation
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Lynne Chapman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lynne Chapman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lynne Chapman for details.