Guest Author - Launa Stout
Plan a family feast to celebrate – any occasion -- by baking some bread.
This is not your typical Mediterranean bread such as the Artisan breads of Focaccia, Ciabatta, or the sandwich breads used for Calzone or Pita bread that can be used to fill or for dipping into a heart stew.
This recipe is for more of a dessert or sweet snacking bread.
This recipe makes three fabulous little round loaves baked up and they LOOK like a 3 leaf clover and then they are garnished with a light sugar glaze and adorned with little cherry halves arranged like a flower. You have to see them for yourself as they are so cute and taste really good.
• ¼ c warm water
• 1 pkg. dry yeast
• ½ c milk, scalded
• 2 T softened butter or margarine
• ¼ c sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 egg, slightly beaten
• 3 ½ to 3 ¾ c sifted all-purpose flour
• ½ c. chopped red maraschino cherries (save 6 whole for garnish)
• 1 T grated lemon peel
• Thin confectioners’ sugar glaze
1. Pour the warm water into a large bowl.
2. Add the yeast and stir until dissolved.
3. Cool the milk to lukewarm and stir in the yeast.
4. Stir in the butter, sugar, salt and egg.
5. Stir in half the flour, chopped cherries and lemon peel and mix well.
6. Add enough remaining flour gradually until dough can be handled easily.
7. Knead on a lightly floured board or counter for 10 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic.
8. Shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl.
9. Cover with a towel or wax paper and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours or until it has doubled in bulk.
10. Punch down and shape into 3 round loaves
11. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet ½ inches apart to form a 3 leaf clover.
12. Cover with a towel and let them rise again until doubled in bulk.
13. Bake in 350 degrees oven for 30-35 minutes.
14. Frost with glaze.
15. Garnish each loaf with 3 red cherry halves to form a flower and red glace cherry slice to for a stem.
16. Serve with butter.
Anytime your family can get together to celebrate – no matter the occasion – it can be a special time and I hope you enjoy time spent with your family.