Guest Author - Launa Stout
Cranberries are mainly grown in five U.S. states “Washington, Oregon, New Jersey, Wisconsin and Massachusetts”. They are also grown in Canada in two provinces “Quebec and British Columbia”.
Cranberries Bounce! Inside the cranberries there are little pockets of air, this is why cranberries float on water, and also what causes them to bounce.
If you strung all the cranberries produced in one year the line would stretch from Los Angles to Boston more than 565 times.
Cranberries are one of the three major native fruits in North America. The other two are the blueberry and the concord grape.
In an average year, Americans will consume 400 million pounds of cranberries, 20 percent of the total amount is consumed during the week of Thanksgiving.
Happy Morning Cranberry Pancakes
Gather these ingredients:
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg
• 1 1/3 cups 2% milk
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 large orange
• 3/4 cup Kellogg's* All-Bran* Original cereal
• 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries,
• Vegetable oil for cooking
Follow these directions:
1. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
2. Put the egg in a large bowl and beat it lightly.
3. Stir the milk and oil into the egg.
4. Grate the orange rind, and then add it to the egg mixture.
5. Cut the peel from the orange and finely chop the orange flesh.
6. Add the orange flesh to the egg mixture and stir.
7. Pour the All-Bran cereal and chopped fresh cranberries in with the egg mixture.
8. If you are using frozen cranberries you will need to thaw them, drain and then chop the cranberries.
9. Add the dry ingredients and stir to mix until just combined.
10. If it thickens while it is sitting and waiting for you to use it you can just add a little milk.
11. Use a 1/3 cup measure and pour batter for each pancake onto a preheated, lightly greased, non-stick pan.
12. Cook until bubbles for on the top of the pancake- this will take about 2 minutes.
13. Turn the pancake over and cook one minute on the other side.
Serve immediately with maple syrup.
Cranberries are gaining in popularity throughout the world. It is possible to find cranberry recipes for everything from breads, muffins, sauce and even salsa.
Let’s eat more cranberries, they taste good, give you vitamin C, and so they are also good for you!