Guest Author - Launa Stout
If you visit northern California, take the opportunity to go to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield, just 45 minutes west of Sacramento.
When you step just one foot into the factory you can smell the aroma of the day. Depending on what they are cooking up that day you might be tempted by chocolate, pineapple, peach or cinnamon.
The walking tour lasts 45 minutes and the Jelly belly tour guides show you what it is like in a real factory where they make over 150 different treats.
Did you know that “Jelly Belly” jelly beans take more than a week to make? – You can find out how on this tour.
Jelly Belly Popcorn Balls
• 6 cups popped corn
• 2 cups light corn syrup
• 1 T. cider vinegar
• 2 tsp. vanilla
• ¾ cup Green Apple Jelly Belly jelly beans (GREEN)
• ¾ cup Very Cherry, Cinnamon or Red Apple Jelly Belly jelly beans (RED)
1. After popping the popcorn, put it in a large greased bowl and keep it warm in a 250˚ F. oven.
2. Oil a large fork and set aside.
3. In a heavy saucepan combine the corn syrup, vinegar, and salt.
4. On medium heat, and stirring occasionally cook until the syrup reaches the hard-boil stage (250˚).
5. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
6. Slowing drizzle the syrup over the popcorn, tossing with the fork until it is well distributed.
7. Quickly, add the Jelly Belly beans and toss until mixed with the corn.
8. As soon as the mixture is cool enough to handle, spread some butter on your hands and quickly and gently shape it into 3-inch balls.
9. Let them stand on some wax paper until they are cool and no longer sticky.
10. Cut a 4” x 7” rectangle of wax paper and wrap a popcorn ball bringing together the long sides.
11. Twist wax paper and tie each end with a green or red bow.
Store them at room temperature.
Too bad, but this recipe only makes about 10 popcorn balls.
Peppermint Jelly Bean Frozen Hot Cocoa
You can use this frothy, chocolaty frozen treat to replace the most decadent desserts. Top with whipped cream for a dreamy treat.
• 3 oz milk chocolate candy bar
• 2 individual packets of Hot Chocolate Mix
• 1 ½ tablespoon Sugar
• 2 cups milk
• 1 package Jelly Belly Peppermint Stick Jelly Beans
• Put one cup of milk in a saucepan and heat over low heat.
• Immediately, break the milk chocolate bar into small pieces, add to milk, stirring occasionally.
• Add hot chocolate mix and sugar. Stir until blended.
• Remove from heat and let sit at room temperature.
• Then, in a blender, add the remaining 1 cup of milk, the chocolate mixture and ice cubes.
• Blend on high speed until you reach the consistency you desire.
• To serve top with whipped cream and Jelly Belly Peppermint Stick Jelly Beans.
Serve Cold- Yum!
To make this treat plan on about 10 to 20 minutes from start to finish.
Check out the Jelly Belly Factory for other yummy Jelly Belly flavors and for the recipe opportunities.