Why Cats Need Water
- Water is vital in helping the kidneys work to flush toxics out of the bloodstream.
- Lack of water consumption can lead to an increase in bladder infections, as well as crystal formations.
- Water keeps many organ tissues hydrated and healthy.
- Water helps aid in the digestion of food and absorption of vitamins.
- Water regulates a cat’s body temperature, especially in extreme temperatures.
- Dehydration is a symptom of certain medical conditions, like as kidney disease and diabetes. Cats suffering from such illnesses often drink large amounts of water. It is vital that they have a constant supply of fresh water.
- Dehydration can be very dangerous in cats, and if left untreated can lead to death.
The best thing to do is to provide your cat with a clean supply of water every day. A great practice to get into is rinsing out the water bowl and adding fresh water on a daily basis. Be sure to provide cool water during hotter weather.
Cats who are on a dry cat food diet will need more drinking water than cats on a wet food diet. That is because wet food contains a high percentage of water. In fact, cats that eat wet food most likely will get a majority of their necessary intake of water from food. It is, however, still a good idea to provide your cat with a fresh supply of water each day.
Since some cats are picky about how they drink, putting a bowl of water out might not do the trick for all cats. Many cats like to drink from a running stream of water, like a dripping faucet. Almost every time I’m in the bathroom one of our cats, Higgins, comes in and drinks out of my hand when I have it under the running faucet water. Now it’s become a bonding moment for us. Before I can even think about washing my hands, he is licking my fingers! So, I cup my hands under the water and Higgins drinks out of my hands.
If you have a cat like Higgins you might want to consider getting a pet water fountain. This provides a constant stream of running water without leaving your faucet on and wasting water. This could possibly be the perfect solution for some cats and cat owners - or shall I say, some cats and the people they own. ^..^
Petmate Ultra Bubbler Watering System, Medium, Peacock -- Buy at Amazon
Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain -- Buy from Amazon
© Melissa Knoblett-Aman
You Should Also Read:
Choosing a Cat Food
Feline CRF - Chronic Renal Failure
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Melissa Knoblett-Aman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Melissa Knoblett-Aman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Melissa Knoblett-Aman for details.