Southwestern Chili Potato Croquette Recipe
The key to this recipe is to make the mashed potatoes on the firm side and chill in the refrigerator before handling. Once you start to form the croquettes the potatoes will start to become a little sticky. To avoid the potatoes from sticking to your hands, lightly coat your hands with a little flour. The potatoes can be made the day ahead.
These croquettes are a fantastic finger food for a game day get together or as a side dish with dinner. I like to split up my batch of mashed potatoes when making these and make half spicy with the jalapeño chilies and half with simply cheese and onions for the kids. That way you can please everybody.
Only your imagination can limit you as to what can go into a croquette. Check out your refrigerator for any leftovers – anything goes here. Enjoy!
6 – 8 medium sized all-purpose potatoes
Salt & pepper
1 stick butter, salted
1 ½ cups half and half or whole milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten well
2 cups breadcrumbs
2 tbsp. olive oil
3 jalapeño chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 packed cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Vegetable oil for frying
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and add 1 tbsp. kosher salt. Simmer until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and mash the potatoes over a low heat to evaporate the excess water. Add the warm milk, butter, black pepper and mash well. Adjust the seasoning with salt to your liking if necessary. Refrigerate and chill well.
2. Put the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls and set aside.
3. In a skillet over medium heat cook the chilies and onions until soft for approximately 5-8 minutes, stirring often.
4. In a large bowl mix together the mashed potatoes, chilies, onions, cilantro and cheese. Combine well. With floured hands shape the potato mixture into cylinders. Coat the croquettes in the flour, then the egg and lastly the breadcrumbs. Coat well.
5. Heat approximately 1 inch of oil over a medium to high heat and fry the potato croquettes in batches on all sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with your favorite salsa or hot sauce.
You Should Also Read:
Visit my Home Cooking Site for more delicious recipes!
Visit Isabel for more delicious Mexican recipes!
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo for details.