Here are the headlines to come out of the anime industry since the last newsletter:
- Crunchyroll and TV Tokyo have issued a lawsuit against 13 YouTube uploaders for allegedly illegally distributing anime episodes. The copyright infringement complaint was filed on May 11, 2011, and was served between July and September 2011. Both parties are seeking reparation for "great and irreparable injury that cannot fully be compensated or measured in money" because of the defendants' allegedly unauthorized copying, uploading, and distributing multiple episodes of Naruto, Naruto Shippuden, and Bleach. Based on the defendants' YouTube subscriber information, they reside in the United States, Japan, Canada, Denmark, and Hungary. Since Crunchyroll maintains offices in California, the lawsuit was filed as a U.S. copyright violation in the Northern District Court of California. For the purposes of the lawsuit, TV Tokyo has given Crunchyroll legal permission to act on the company's behalf to "permanently remove the illegal uploads of infringing parties from file-sharing servies and to obtain legal relief against infringers." On August 18, 2011, the Northern District Court of California granted a motion to allow the involved sides to pursue settlement outside of court if they so choose. The first date for the Crunchyroll and TV Tokyo representatives to meet with the defendants and a judge is set for November 18, 2011.
- Media Blasters has announced the cast for the English dub of Bakuman.: Michael Sinterniklaas is Moritaka Mashiro, Kevin T. Collins is Takagi Akito, Veronica Taylor is Miyuki and Iwase, Stephanie Sheh is Miho Azuki, Jason Griffith is Kawasaki and Hayato, Mike Pollock is Fumio and various teachers, Julie Francis is Kayoko, Robby Sharpe is Suzuki and Eiji, Wayne Grayson is Hattori, Scottie Ray is Aida and incidentals, Dan Green is Sasaki, Marc Diraison is Nonuhiro and Kim, Amanda Shuckman is Miyoshi and incidentals, Chris Niosi is Yujiro, and Matt Bernhard and Rachael Lillis provide various voices.
- Siren Visual has announced that the company has acquired the licensing for the forthcoming anime franchise, UN-GO. In addition, the 11 part TV series will be streaming on Anime News Network in conjunction with the airing on Fuji TV's Noitamina slot, beginning in Japan on October 13, 2011.
- Saboten Con has announced that voice actor Sean Schemmel will be a guest at this year's convention. Schemmel's credits include providing voices for Dragon Ball Z Kai and Dragon Ball GT (Goku, King Kai, and Nail), Shaman King (Amidamaru and Rio), and Ninja Nonsense (Onsokumaru). Saboten Con is taking place September 30-October 2, 2011 at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced the cast for the English dub of the ICE OVA, which is being released in November 2011; in addition, the company also announced that Steven Foster is directing the dub. Chris Patton is Julia, Emily Neves is Hitomi Landsknecht, Melissa Davis is Kisaragi, Serena Varghese is Yuki, Elizabeth Bunch is Mint, Shelley Calene-Black is Murasaki, Luci Christian is Rinne, Maggie Flecknoe is Aoi, Brittney Karbowski is Satsuki, Carlee Gabrisch is Utsuha, Stephanie Wittels is Hitomi Aida, Andrew Love is Makoto, and Sally Willikins is Aika.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! television anime series, and will be releasing it under the title, Majikoi - Oh! Samurai Girls! Sentai will be releasing the twelve episode series digitally "through many outlets" starting in October 2011 and will release the series on home video in 2012.
- Anime Blast Chattanooga has announced that voice actor Eric Stuart will be a guest at their upcoming convention. Stuart's credits include Brock and James in Pokemon, Seto Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh!, Gourry in The Slayers, and Dr. Z in Dinosaur King. Anime Blast Chattanooga is taking place November 4-6, 2011 at the Chattanooga Convention Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- 4Kids Entertainment has announced that Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal will begin airing on the CW4Kids Toonzai block on Saturday, October 15 at 9:30 a.m. This incarnation of Yu-Gi-Oh! features Yuma Tukumo, a 13-year-old rookie duelist, and Astral, a mysterious lifeform from a parallel world.
- Sentai Filmworks has announced that the company has licensed the Persona 4 The Animation television series. The company says it will digitally distribute the series "soon through many outlets," and will be releasing the series on both DVD and Blu-ray in 2012.
- AniMinneapolis has announced that their next convention will be taking place June 29-July 1, 2012 at the Ramada Mall of America in Bloomington, Minneapolis. Events at AniMinneapolis include a cosplay masquerade, a special Nerdcore concert, a rave dance, anime screenings, video gaming, table top gaming, an artist gallery, a dealer's room, panels, workshops, and events.
There are topics in the anime forum for these news stories. If you'd like to join in on the discussion, there's a link to the forum later in the newsletter. You need to have a BellaOnline forum account in order to post, but signing up for a forum account is free.
|Mardock Scramble: The First Compression||DVD|
|Squid Girl Volume 1||DVD|
|Trigun: Badlands Rumble||DVD|
|Trigun: Badlands Rumble||Blu-ray|
|Yu Yu Hakusho Season 3||Blu-ray|
This week, I posted three new articles to the Anime site. The first is an overview article for Red Garden. The second is a review of the Dragon Ball Z Season Eight DVD box set. The third is a Pokemon episode listing for the Hoenn Region. I have added words from Red Garden to the list for the Anime word games, and the Cowboy Bebop Remix Volume 5 DVD is being featured as an "Editor's Recommendation" on the main page of the Anime site. This week, I also published another ebook through BellaOnline titled, Anime Shows Volume 4; below is a link to an article with more information on the ebook and how to order it.
Here's the latest articles from the Anime site at BellaOnline.com.
Red Garden is an anime produced by Gonzo and directed by Kou Matsuo.
Dragon Ball Z Season Eight Box Set
The Dragon Ball Z Season Eight box set includes six DVDs that contain thirty-four episodes.
Pokemon Hoenn Region Episode Listing
This is an episode listing for the Pokemon episodes that take place in the Hoenn region (Advanced, Advanced Challenge, Advanced Battle), as well as the Battle Frontier episodes. This listing all includes the movies that are considered part of this era.
Anime Shows Volume 4
Anime Shows Volume 4 features anime overview articles written by Lesley Aeschliman, BellaOnline's Anime Editor.
Please visit Anime.bellaonline.com for even more great content about Anime.
To participate in free, fun online discussions, this site has a community forum all about Anime located here -
You can follow the official Twitter feed for BellaOnline's Anime section.
Become a fan of the Anime at BellaOnline Fan Page at Facebook.
I hope to hear from you sometime soon, either in the forum or in response to this email message. I thrive on your feedback!
Thank you for your support of the BellaOnline Anime site, newsletter, and forum. Be sure to watch your inbox next Wednesday for the October 5th edition of the BellaOnline Anime newsletter.
Have fun passing this message along to family and friends, because we all love free knowledge!
Lesley Aeschliman, Anime Editor
One of hundreds of sites at BellaOnline.com