Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Six Sensational Smoothie Recipes
When I was growing up in the 70s, smoothies were all the rage; there was a van that would park in the beach parking lot and serve freshly-made smoothies all summer long. I also had a couple of recipes to make my own drinks, including an “All-in-one Breakfast Shake,” which included juice and a raw egg.
Personally I have never liked mine made with ice or frozen fruits; really cold foods can actually shock your system (yup, ice cream included). I recommend using ingredients at room temperature, or slightly chilled if the weather is hot.
I also recommend using toasted cashews, as the raw nuts can cause a bad reaction to anyone allergic to poison ivy.
Here are some great-tasting, nutritious smoothie blends that are full of protein and anti-oxidants; all you need is a blender and a tall glass or mug. Enjoy!
1 ripe banana
¾-1 cup toasted cashews, with or without salt
1 cup chocolate almond drink (I use Almond Breeze brand)
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
Blend until smooth. Add more almond drink if necessary; the smoothie should be thick yet drinkable.
Green Goddess Power Blend
4 pitted dates, cut up
½ cup vanilla or plain yogurt
½-1 cup orange juice (I used a blend of orange, peach, and mango)
½-1 cup chocolate or plain almond drink
½ tsp. spirulina powder
1) Blend dates, banana, and avocado with a little of the juice until smooth.
2) Add the vanilla, almond drink, and the rest of the juice, and blend until smooth. Adjust the thickness with more liquid, if needed. Blend in the spirulina at the end.
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 banana (optional)
½ cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup juice or almond drink
Blend all ingredients until smooth, adding more liquid if necessary.
Bright Eyes Breakfast Shake
1 cup orange juice
1 raw egg
4 pitted dates, cut up
½ cup yogurt
2-3 Tbsp. almond butter
1-2 Tbsp. raw wheat germ
1) Blend dates and egg until smooth. Add all the other ingredients, blending until smooth.
Chia Cherry Cha-Cha
1 cup black cherry juice
½ cup pitted fresh or frozen cherries, thawed
½ cup toasted cashews
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
½ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
Blend until smooth.
Very Veggie Volcano
1 ripe avocado, halved, peeled and pitted
2 leaves rainbow chard
3 leaves Dino kale
2 stalks celery
1/3 cup toasted cashews
1 cup pure water
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. grated ginger
¼ - ½ tsp. garlic powder
1/8 – ¼ tsp. salt
1/3 cup yogurt, optional
1) Wash leaves of chard and kale, cut into small pieces, and place in the bottom of the blender.
2) Scrub the celery stalks, remove the ends and cut into pieces. Put the celery on top of the leaves. Add the cashews.
3) Add the water, and process until everything is smooth and pureed. You will need to keep stopping the blender and pushing the leaves down, until they puree.
4) Add avocado, lime and lemon juice, and puree. You can use some of the citrus pulp, too, if desired.
5) Place the grated ginger in a small strainer, hold the strainer over the blender and mash the ginger with a spoon to get out as much juice as you can. Season with salt and garlic powder to taste, blending as you go. Add yogurt if desire to smooth the flavors. Enjoy!
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2013 by Caitlin McLeod. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Caitlin McLeod. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Caitlin McLeod for details.
Website copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.