Guest Author - Launa Stout
My six-year old granddaughter Samantha loves to bake.
When her new little brother was born she made a Jell-O poke cake with blueberry Jell-O to welcome him home from the hospital.
This is a fun cake that uses the same concepts but uses Christmas colors of Jell-O.
This recipe will make a 2-layer cake.
Gather these readily available ingredients:
1 small package red Jell-O (Cherry, Strawberry etc)
1 small package green Jell-O (Lime)
1 package white cake mix (enough for 2 layer cake)
1 -16oz carton of Cool Whip
Follow these easy steps:
1. Preheat the oven for the temperature suggested on the cake mix box.
2. Grease the inside of two 9 inch round cake pans.
3. Trace the bottom of the pan onto waxed paper and cut out two circles and put one in the bottom of each pan.
4. Follow directions on the cake mix box.
5. After the cake is done baking you will need to let the cakes cool for 10 minutes.
6. Turn upside down to pop the cakes out of the pans.
7. Clean out the cake pans and put the cakes back into the pans.
8. Use a fork and poke holes into cakes.
9. Make the red Jell-O only using one cup of hot water and pour as evenly as possible over one of the cakes.
10. Then make the green Jell-O only using one cup of hot water and pour over the other round cake.
11. Now, put both cakes into the fridge for several hours.
12. When you are ready for the next step, place the bottom of the cake pans in hot water to help release the cakes from their pans.
13. Put one cake in the middle of a pretty Christmas plate.
14. Spread the top of that one cake with Cool Whip.
15. Place the other cake on top.
16. Now, frost the lovely, two-layer cake with Cool Whip on top and sides.
17. You can also add some other seasonal decorations or sprinkles at this time if you want to.
18. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The amazing thing about this cake is that it looks like a plain white cake with plain white frosting, but when it is cut into and served it has a magical appearance to a little six-year old girl who cannot imagine how a cake can be part green and part red.
Try it at your house and live the magic!