|Sausage and Pepper Heroes|
These hearty, hot sandwiches are great party crowd pleasers!
- 8 red and green bell peppers, sliced into 1/4" wide strips
- 2 T. olive oil
- 6 large white sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 to 5 pounds smoked sausage or Italian sausage
- 16 long sub sandwich rolls, sliced
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 jar garlic and onion spaghetti sauce (optional)
Cut the sausage diagonally into chunks, about 1 to 1-1/2" wide; set aside. In very large skillet, saute the sliced bell peppers in olive oil for about 3 to 4 minutes or until barely tender. Add the thinly sliced onions and garlic and continue cooking, turning frequently, for about 10 minutes or until the peppers and onions are very lightly browned; Stir in the salt and pepper. Pour the mixture into a an oven safe bowl. Cover and place in the oven, set at 200° or less, to keep warm. Add the cut sausage to the skillet and saute until the sausage is nicely browned. Place the sausage on the rolls. Add a generous amount of the pepper and onion mixture. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Spoon a small amount of sauce on top (optional). Makes 16 servings.