Guest Author - Caitlin McLeod
Ground Turkey with Bok Choy
A friend of mine served this yummy sauce over tortellini; I have re-created the dish here. All of these recipes can be readily made without using specific measurements; just use whatever you have on hand.
1-2 onions, peeled and chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 stalks celery, washed and sliced
1-2 heads baby bok choy, washed and sliced
˝ cup black olives, preferably Kalamatas
˝-1 lb. ground turkey thigh
1-2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 large can tomatoes, or 3-4 fresh ripe ones, chopped
Salt to taste
1/3-1/2 cup black or golden raisins
2-3 Tbsp. olive or coconut oil
1) Sauté the onions and garlic in oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, sauté to brown, then reduce heat and simmer until no longer pink. Break the meat up as it cooks.
2) Add the celery and bok choy, cook until just wilted. Add the cumin, salt if desired, tomatoes, and raisins. Cook just until heated through.
Ground Turkey with Summer Squash
When I first made this next dish, I had nothing to make a sauce with except vanilla yogurt. Being daring, I put some in, and wow! What a taste treat! Coconut milk is also delicious. I’ve given a few additions below for a tasty variation.
2 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
1 small yellow or red onion
1-2 cloves shallots and/or garlic (optional), peeled and minced
1 Portobello mushroom, washed and sliced
˝ lb. ground turkey
1-2 small green or yellow summer squash, washed and sliced
1-2 tsp. ground cumin
Lavender buds (a large pinch will do)
Vanilla yogurt or plain coconut milk
1) Peel and slice the onions. Sauté in a skillet in hot oil over medium heat until golden and tender. Add the sliced mushrooms, garlic and shallots, if using, then sauté until tender.
2) Add the ground turkey, breaking it up into smallish chunks. Sauté until thoroughly cooked. Putting a lid on the skillet assists in this step.
3) Add the sliced squash, put the lid back on, and simmer until just tender. Season with lavender buds and cumin, and a little salt and pepper.
4) Stir in enough yogurt or coconut milk (or both) to make a nice sauce. The heat will curdle the yogurt but it still tastes yummy.
Use 3 scallions in place of 1 onion
Use garlic salt instead of fresh garlic
Add 2 sliced carrots with the mushrooms, sauté until tender
Then add 2 ounces of soft goat cheese (Chevre) with the yogurt
(Can omit the squash, if you don’t have any)
These are all delicious served over cooked pasta or steamed brown rice or other grains, with a vegetable or salad on the side.