The 3M Ergonomic Mouse - A Product Review
The 3M Vertical Mouse, also known as the Renaissance Mouse, was one of the first ergonomic mice developed that placed the forearm in the neutral, or handshake, position.
This mouse is a joystick-style mouse molded to fit the hand with a thumb groove that holds the thumb comfortably at the top of the joystick. The stick is attached to a platform that is controlled like a standard mouse. The thumb groove contains a rocker button that performs standard left button functions when rocked to the left and standard right button functions when rocked to the right. A third button placed on the handle is activated by clicking the index and middle finger around the mouse handle. This button allows the mouse to perform a scrolling function. There is no scrolling wheel.
Who Would Benefit From Using The 3M Ergonomic Mouse?
- Because of the neutral forearm rotation, I find this mouse is particular helpful for those with forearm or elbow pain.
- It is also a good mouse for those who tend to swivel the mouse using the wrist. The stick and platform prevent excessive wrist movement.
- Because the neutral position has been shown to cause less fatigue (according to studies cited by 3M), those who spend an excessive amount of time using a mouse may feel less strain while using this mouse.
- 3M cites studies showing significantly reduced muscle effort while mousing in the neutral posture. This means less arm fatigue during mousing activity.
- This mouse will likely appeal to those who like gaming and are familiar with the joystick feel.
- The 3M Ergonomic Mouse Is available in two sizes, small and large, to maximize comfort.
- This mouse consistently receives good reviews.
- It is fairly easy to adjust to the feel of this mouse and the learning curve is rapid.
- Software included with new optical version offers user the choice of receiving daily ergonomic tips.
- The fingers tend to be held in more flexion (bent) with this mouse than with other mice. The finger flexion will be emphasized with frequent use of the scrolling function. Therefore, this mouse may not be the right style for those who have problems with trigger fingers or finger swelling and pain or for those who have the tendency to carry tension in the hand and hold objects tightly.
- The 3M Ergonomic Mouse does not have a scrolling wheel. It is a solid, basic mouse that offers standard functions. This mouse may not offer the functions and adjustability needed for those who require special functions or rely heavily on the mouse for graphic design.