Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Dance Meditation - Expressive Techniques
This is the time to play dance music and begin moving.
Allow yourself to feel the music; its tempo, qualities, and patterns; changing type of movement as music changes.
Some qualities and types of movement:
1. Rebound: The resulting bounce against the force of gravity. Energy focused downward creates an equal reaction upward or sideward. The rebound changes in proportion to the energy expended in the initial movement.
2. Suspension: Hanging onto a breath. Sustained movement controlled by the length of a breath.
3. Sustained Movement: Movement related to a constant beat rather than a breath.
4. Overtones: Sense of air still vibrating even though movement has ceased, giving the sense of moving in time.
5. Expending Energy: Sheer energy and intensity are different. Containment of energy creates intensity. Sharpness is achieved through the maximum use of energy in the attack of the movement. Motivation gives the movement more substance and quality.
6. Axial: While the body is rooted in one spot, segments of the body move independently of each other, such as backward, forward, sideward, in spirals, swinging.
7. Levels: Low on the floor or close to it; middle as in normal walking level; high as on tip toe, jumping, arms extended upward.
8. Directions: Around one's self, forward, backward, sideward, diagonally, in curves, circles, straight lines, geometric shapes.
9. Dynamics: Motion with purpose, motivation, feeling, energy.
Dance meditation is poetry in motion and when you are done your session you'll find you are invigorated for the rest of the day.
Dance Meditation Handbook
For teens and adults, illustrated with photographs and ink drawings, this is a comprehensive handbook of elements to include in dance meditations, with 6 guided lessons and an appendix of musical suggestions; a companion you won't want to be without in your practice or for teaching! 40 page ebook.
Dance meditation for kids here:
Meditation for All Kids
Sitting, walking, dance and group circle meditations, along with positive affirmations, verses and benefits of meditation for kids of all ages and abilities in a 100 page book with illustrations.
Article by Susan Helene Kramer
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Susan Helene Kramer. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Susan Helene Kramer. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Susan Helene Kramer for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.