Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Orange Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
I haven't met anybody yet who doesn't love a great chocolate chip cookie. Especially, fresh and warm from the oven with a glass of cold milk - yum! This recipe for my Orange Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches is fragrant with orange zest and combined with the chocolate chips and ice cream - what's not to love!
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe as they balance nicely with the orange. However, if you are a milk chocolate lover, there is no reason why you can't substitute. You may choose any variety of orange here also. I used the a very large Naval orange, as the rind is thicker and I find that easier to work with, as opposed to the thinner rinds on some other types.
Freezing the cookies will prevent them from cracking when you build your sandwiches. If you have firm ice cream, let this sit out so it softens a little as it will make the process a little easier.
This recipe can be made in a stand mixer, with a hand-held motorized whisk or the old fashioned way, by hand, in a large mixing bowl. The instructions in making this recipe uses a stand mixer.
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of table salt
1 stick (1/4 cup) butter
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Zest of a large naval orange
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Vanilla ice cream (or your favorite)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar on the medium speed setting of the mixer until smooth and creamy.
3. Add in the eggs and combine with the butter. Then, add the vanilla and orange zest and incorporate.
4. Add the flour gradually, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides often. Remove the mixing bowl and fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula or spoon. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic wrap or cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to meld the flavors together.
5. Using an ice cream scoop, place the cookie dough 3 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and freeze the cookies until you are ready to assemble the ice cream sandwiches.
Making the Ice Cream Sandwiches
Take the ice cream scoop and place a dollop of the slightly softened ice cream in the center of the frozen cookie. Gently press another cookie on top until the ice cream meets the edges. You can vary the amount of ice cream you put in there its totally up to you.
Wrap the Orange Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches in plastic and return them to the freezer. Now try keeping everybody out of there! Enjoy.
Content copyright © 2015 by Allyson Elizabeth DŽAngelo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Allyson Elizabeth DŽAngelo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Allyson Elizabeth DŽAngelo for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.