Here's a few examples for you to try for your next summer gathering.
|This popular melon basket is perfect for any summer occasion.|
Here's two more melon baskets...
|Having a baby shower or christening party this summer? Here's your centerpiece!|
|Kids love melon! Having a birthday party for your favorite little guy? Heres' a pirate ship!|
|This spouting whale can hold melon salad at your next pool party!|
Need a punch bowl?...cut away less rind for a deeper body.
There's a recipes for watermelon punch below.
|This pretty swan will require a bit more expertise.|
It would be a perfect centerpiece for the food table at a wedding shower or garden reception.
Photos and centepiece designs courtesy of Watermelon.org
- When carving the watermelon, to prevent it from rolling around and to absorb the juice, lay a heavy towel on a counter top and place the watermelon on top.
- Use a non-toxic water soluable marker to lightly draw an outline of the object you want to carve (basket with handle, carriage, etc.)
- Use a large sharp knife to carefully cut the melon along the drawn line.
- Use a scalloped, curved or zigzag pattern rather than a straight line for the cut edge, if desired.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the flesh, then place it in a large bowl and set aside. Just before serving, carefully spoon the melon salad into the carved watermelon vessel.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave and smooth the cut edges around your carved melon.
- Use a large metal spoon to scrape away any remaining melon on the inside of your "bowl".
For a melon salad in a 15 to 20 pound oblong melon -
- the flesh from the watermelon
- 2 cantaloupes
- 2 honeydews
- 3 cups fresh strawberries - washed, hulled and halved
- 2 cups or large white, black or red seedless grapes - washed and halved
- 6 kiwi fruit - peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
Scoop out the flesh of all the melons with a melon baller. then set aside. Toss the melon balls, berries and grapes and kiwi slices together. In a separate bowl, mix the lime juice, lemon juice, sugar and lemon peel together. Pour the juice mixture over the fruit mixture and toss lightly again.
Process pieces of seed-free watermelon in a blender until it's liquified. Combine watermelon juice with cranberry juice concentrate, and lemonade concentrate. Place a few scoops of sherbet into a punch bowl. Add the juice mixture then slowly add the club soda and stir.
|KitchenAid Melon Baller|
Scooping out perfect melon balls is easy with this classic kitchen gadget. This quality brand will outlast all the rest!
Pfaltzgraff Watermelon Scoop Bowl
This fun abd festive watermelon-shaped bowl will accommodate a nicely sized watermelon half, or a whole cut-up watermelon. It's 17 1/4" long x 9 1/2" wide and holds 3 quarts.... no carving needed.
You Should Also Read:
The Home Cooking Recipe Index and Site Map
The Home Cooking Cookbook Corner
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Sandy Moyer. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Sandy Moyer. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Allyson Elizabeth D´Angelo for details.