Our crowning glory is coated, washed, styled, sprayed and conditioned with countless damaging toxins in the quest for beauty. Hairspray, dandruff shampoo, hair color and spray contain PVP, plastic resins, formaldehyde, detergents, coal tar dyes, ammonia and countless artificial fragrances. All these damage the body and the cumulative effect of this waterfall of toxins is not known.
Herbs are a wonderful natural alternative to commercial products, are easy to prepare and the results are gorgeous.
Hair is a reflection of many factors and there are a few simple strategies besides herbal hair care that will help your hair stay healthy.Start from the inside and make sure you eat foods which promote healthy hair and scalp. Try to include plenty of water, essential fatty acids, vitamin A and good quality protein in your diet.Always wash your hair gently, don't scrub vigorously.Don't use a hair dryer, curling irons or heat straighteners if possible because this can cause a dry scalp and damage your hair causing breakage.Wear a hat to protect your hair from the sun. Fading color and dryness can occur with strong sun exposure.Try rinsing your hair in cool or cold water to enhance shine.
Lavender is a great herb to use for this shampoo but try your favorite fragrance instead!
3 Tbsps dried herbs
2 Tbsps dried rosemary
2 tsp orange or lemon zest
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup mild natural fragrance free shampoo
20 drops herbal essential oil (matching whatever herb you used in the first process)
10 drops orange or lemon essential oil
- Bring water to a boil in small saucepan, add dried herbs and zest.
- Simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Strain and cool.
- Combine the shampoo, essential oils, and reduced herbal mixture in bottle.
- Before use shake bottle gently and use a small amount.
Herbal Hair Rinse
Designed to stimulate hair growth and refresh scalp.
3 cups boiling water
2 Tbsps fresh thyme
2 Tbsps fresh sage leaves
2 1/2 Tbsps fresh rosemary
2 Tbsps fresh curly parsley
2 lemons, juiced
- Place all ingredients except lemon juice in bowl and steep covered until cool.
- Strain and discard used herbs.
- Add lemon juice and store in plastic bottle.
- Use as rinse after shampoo, enough for two uses.
Leave in Conditioner for Dry Hair
This product is great as a styling tool and protects your hair from the heat of styling.
2 Tbsps beeswax
2 Tbsps almond oil
4 Tbsps cocoa butter
2 tsp honey
15 drops lime or lemon essential oil
4 Tbsps rose water
20 drops of lavender essential oil
- Melt honey, beeswax, almond oil and cocoa butter over a water bath.
- Remove from heat and gently heat rose water.
- Combine the oils and rosewater with whisk and then use electric beater to beat in essential oils until well combined and creamy.
- Store in sealed jar in cool dark place.
- Use small dab after washing shampoo to style and condition.