Many people are justifiable concerned about the products they are using to clean their home. Chemicals, toxins and harsh abrasives can leave residue which can affect your family and pets if they inadvertently consume them and absorb them through skin to surface contact. Other more natural options have become popular and widespread as people become more knowledgeable about the health risks of commercial products. Herbs and wonderful homemade cleaners are great to make your home sparkle and keep your family healthy.
Cleaning with herb products is easy, inexpensive and they leave a fresh lovely scent no matter what herb you use as a base. A great first step towards an all herbal cleaning routine is making an easy vinegar based cleaner for wiping and deodorized all your dirty surfaces.
The method is incredible easy:
- Simply chop up a cup of your favorite herb, preferably one with a strong scent such as lavender, lemon verbena or peppermint, and place herbs in the bottom of a jar. Completely fill the jar with white vinegar, seal tightly and let stand out of direct sunlight for at least 5 days.
- Stain diffused vinegar into a plastic spray bottle and keep on hand for all your cleaning tasks (except for marble!).
- Try different herbs to find the scent you like the best, and if you do not have fresh herbs you may also use 10-12 herbal tea bags.
- Place a 1/2 cup of herb vinegar and 2 cups water in your microwave and cook on high for 5 minutes to steam out the inside. Let cool in the appliance and then remove the bowl and wipe out the interior.
- Wipe out your fridge with the vinegar and remove any accumulated mold from door gaskets and then use a sponge dipped in the same fragrance for freshness and hygiene.
- Take down your shower and tap heads and soak them overnight to remove the mineral build up for better cleaner flow.
- Freshen and disinfect all your dish clothes and sponges by soaking them overnight in boiling water with at least 1 cup of herb vinegar and a couple drops of lemon essential oil. Rinse out and dry.
- Freshen and disinfect your dishwasher with 3/4 cup herb vinegar in the rinse cycle. This will also make your glasses sparkle.
Now that you have the herb vinegar cleaner there are many ways to utilize it around the home.