Guest Author - Patricia Mitchell
“I know the price of success: dedication, hard work and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.” ~Frank Lloyd Wright
Do you want lean, sculpted legs, and tighter glutes? Many women carry more body fat in the hips and thighs than in the upper body. This four week challenge targets the glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps. Include the dietary recommendations below to lose those extra pounds and to get more dramatic results.
The quote above by Frank Wright is the formula for success. “I know the price of success: dedication, hard work and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen.” This challenge will require hard work, dedication, and devotion. Set a goal to follow the dietary recommendations and do the lean leg circuit three times a week on nonconsecutive days.
Work out at your own pace. Remember to check with your physician before starting any diet or exercise program.
LEAN LEG CIRCUIT- Warm up with a fast paced walk for 5-7 minutes. Complete 1-10 with little rest between each exercise. For a more advanced option, add handweights. When you complete the hill runs, rest for 2 minutes and then complete the circuit one to two more times depending on your fitness level.
1. Squats- Feet hip width apart, bend at the hips as you lower and push your hips back until they are aligned with your knees then come back up to standing and squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement. 12 Repetitions
2. Jump Squats- Start with feet together, jump feet out wide and back in for 12 Repetitions.
3. Lunges- Start with feet hip width apart. Step forward into lunge with right knee over ankle. Return to start. Repeat 12 Repetitions on right leg and 12 Repetitions on the left leg.
4. Jump Lunges- Start in lunge position and jump to switch legs for 12 Repetitions.
5. Plie' Squats- Stand with feet wide and toes turned out. Squat down and as you come out of the squat, squeeze the inner thighs at the top of the movement. Repeat 12 Repetitions.
6. Plie' jump squat- Stand with feet wide and toes turned out. Jump up and land in plie' with toes turned out. Repeat for 12 Repetitions.
7. Hip thrusts- Lie on your back with your knees bent and arms lying at your side. Lift your hips in line with your knees and squeeze the glutes. Lower half way and repeat 12 Repetitions.
8. Mountain climbers- In pushup position bring alternating knees to chest. If you are more advanced, alternate knees quickly to get the heart rate elevated. Keep your body in a straight line and avoid lifting the hips during the exercise. Do 12 Repetitions (Right and left count as one complete Repetitions)
9. Plank Jacks- In plank position with wrists underneath shoulders and body in a straight line. Engage the abdominals and jump the feet out wide and back to start. Repeat 12 Repetitions.
10. Run hills- Run incline on treadmill or hills outside for three minutes and then repeat circuit starting with first exercise.
* Take five to ten minutes to walk and stretch when you complete workout. Make sure to hydrate with water before, during and after your workout.
1. Drink water- Drink 16 ounces of water before breakfast, lunch and evening meal.
2. Eliminate bread, pasta, rice- Replace these foods with two servings of green vegetables for lunch and your evening meal.
3. Cut out processed foods and alcohol- Eliminate these empty calories for four weeks to help reduce body fat.
4. Eliminate sweets- Sugar is high in calories and stimulates the appetite. Replace sweets with fresh fruit instead.
5. Cut out carbs after lunch- To see more dramatic results. Try reducing or eliminating carbs after lunch. Have lean protein, salads, and green vegetables for your evening meal.