Guest Author - Cassandra George Sturges
Beauty is a state of mind. When you feel beautiful you look beautiful. In African American culture, dark skin is considered to be a very unattractive physical trait. When I was 5-years-old, I asked my father to paint me white because I told him that I hated being black and ugly. My father cried and said, “Momma, why would you not want to look like the people who love you the most in this world?”
I felt sad for making my daddy cry, but I struggled with self-hatred for most of my adult life. As a dark-complexioned African American woman, I could not find a way to meet society’s standard of beauty of being thin, blond, and blue-eyed. I stopped seeking beauty tips in fashion magazines and started a spiritual journey to self-love and self-acceptance.
I initially began writing self-esteem and academic goal affirmations that worked for me. I decided to apply the same technique to improve how I felt about my physical appearance and I couldn’t believe how well these beauty affirmations worked for my self-esteem.
How to Use Beauty Affirmations
The best time to say affirmations are right before bed-time and as soon as you wake up in the morning. The last thing that you think about before going to bed is what your brain processes while you are asleep. This is why it is very important to have positive thoughts before going to sleep at night. Find time to say each affirmation three times before bedtime and repeat the beauty affirmations three times immediately upon rising each morning.
In about 90 days or so you may notice that people will begin giving you compliments. What is actually happening is that your own positive thoughts are being reflected back to you from other people. Try these affirmations, if they don’t work for you create your own that may resonate more with your personality.
1. Every cell of my mind, body, and soul is saturated, flooded, and drenched in God’s beauty, well-being, grace, and love.
2. I am physically, spiritually, and psychologically beautiful. I treat people the way I want to be treated. I say positive things about myself and others.
3. I see the beauty in others and they see the beauty in me.
4. I love my body because it is the vehicle of my being on earth. It holds my thoughts, dreams and hopes. Without my body I would cease to exist.
5. I am radiantly, gorgeous and beautiful. My beauty radiates from my soul. My soul is an extension of divine love, God’s perfection, and effervescent light.
6. I am perfect just the way I am otherwise I wouldn’t be me.
7. I eat and enjoy healthy foods that nourish my body.
8. I am gorgeous and sensuously beautiful inside and out.
9. Divine Wisdom dwells in my spirit and shows me how to properly take care of my body in a manner where I look and feel most attractive to myself.
10. I surround myself with people who cherish and adore my natural beauty.
11. I have radiant, healthy beautiful skin on my face and entire body.
12. My life is filled with an over-flowing abundance of peace, serenity, love and beauty.
13. Every day in every way, I am prettier and prettier. My physical prettiness is a reflection of my positive thoughts and actions towards myself and others.
14. I rest 6 to 8 hours each night. I honor my body by giving it proper rest and relaxation.
15. I am breathtakingly, mesmerizing, and captivatingly beautiful. This beauty is a gift from God to be utilized to reach people and help them to see their own beauty. Loving myself inspires others to love themselves.
16. I am richly beautiful both inside and out. I am confident. I have high self-esteem. I trust me. I believe in me. I radiate extraordinary, high-self-esteem, inner peace, love, well-being, happiness, compassion, understanding, wisdom and intelligence. I am a success. I allow myself to feel successful.
17. I congratulate myself often. I forgive myself knowing that I did the best that I knew how to do at the time.
18. God is inside of me. God is love. I am love. My life is rich with love, peace and harmony. My words uplift and inspire others.
19. I love and forgive me unconditionally. I forgive myself for things past, present and future. I accept all of who I am. I am perfect the way God made me. I am rich, healthy, wealthy and wise.