Everyone needs a plan in life and the most important plan you can write is the one that protects your health! A Family Health and Wellness Plan keeps your family on track and in charge of their health rather than putting their health into the hands of a doctor who may or may not have your best interests at heart.
Before creating a plan it is a good idea to assign someone in your family the role of C.H.O or “Chief Health Officer”. This can be you, your spouse or partner, or an older teenager in the house that is willing to continually educate themselves about health and wellness. This person is in charge making sure ingredient labels are read at the grocery store or asking for the ingredient list at restaurants.
Once the C.H.O has been assigned he or she can lead the discussion to put a “Family Wellness Plan” in writing. Create up to 12 brief statements that describe the changes your family wants to take place over the year. Write in the present tense like it is already happening and put each statement or “mantra” on a 3 x 5 note card and present one change per month to the family. At the beginning of each month for the first 15 days, pass the card around to each family member to read at the breakfast table or read it out loud and give examples where you and other members have had success. Once the statement has become a habit it becomes part of your Family Wellness Plan which can be typed up and posted to the refrigerator or anywhere visible to the entire family. Expect some resistance, but don’t be forceful or argumentative. None of the plan should feel forced, just continue to practice the plan and be encouraging and positive. Below are some examples:
- We practice a whole foods, plant based diet. We eat 7-13 fruits and vegetables every day and we take a raw fruit and vegetable concentrate to make up for the difference.
- Water is our primary beverage. We don’t drink sodas. We drink unsweetened tea or coffee as an occasional treat.
- We believe the body is intelligently designed to heal itself. We use over the counter medications and prescription drugs as a LAST resort.
- We plan ahead so we are not forced to eat at fast food restaurants. We only visit those restaurants that serve healthy vegetarian options.
- We don’t use chemicals in or around the house.
- We exercise 45 minutes daily in our target heart rate.
You will be surprised at how effective this is and how quickly you will reach your health goals.