5 Tips for Avoiding Insects While Walking
1. Wear protective clothing. Remember to wear lightweight, light colored clothing. Bright colors can attract bees and other flying insects. This is often the best natural way to protect yourself from being bitten and stung by pesky insects. However it isn’t foolproof and your exposed skin can still be attacked. In areas where gnats are a problem you may want to invest in a netted hat or visor.
2. Do not wear perfumes and other flowery scents. Strong scents can attract all kinds of insects including mosquitoes, flies, gnats, bees, and wasps. Bees can are drawn to flowery scents in the hope of finding a blossoming flower and while we may all want to be pretty as flowers, being surrounded by bees is no fun.
3. Know what insects are active during the times you plan on walking. Mosquitoes are active at dusk, if you are in an area where the mosquito population is high avoid walking at that time. Gnats are also active at dusk and it is often hard to avoid a swarm of gnats. Changing the time that you walk can help keep your walking program going when insects are most active.
4. To avoid ticks and spiders do not walk through bushes or under low hanging trees. Walk in spacious, unshaded paths. While ticks can’t be completely avoided taking a little more precaution can aid in a decrease of bites. Be sure that if you live in a high tick area that you are checking for them after your walk daily.
5. There are many insect repellents to choose from. You should apply any repellent as directed,about fifteen minutes before beginning beginning your walk. Choosing an insect repellent will really depend on what you are comfortable with. They come in lotions, sprays, and clip ons. The best thing to do is try a couple of different products. Depending on your walking habits and the insects in your area you may need different products at different times of the day.
Don’t let your walk be sabotaged by insects. Being prepared to deal with any obstacle, even little pesky ones, will set you up for a successful walking experience. Walking is one of the easiest and enjoyable exercises to do, even if there are small challenges.
We would love to hear about your best tips and products for dealing with insects and walking, come on over to the forum and let us know what you think.
You Should Also Read:
3 Tips You Need to Make This Your Healthiest Year
Six Week Challenge
Heart Health Everyday
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Carla Cano. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Carla Cano. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Carla Cano for details.