Guest Author - Tracy Webb
"The heart is the central place where the divinity of the Beloved exists.
If you touch somebody's heart, it will get awakened"
The Heart Chakra is the center for love, compassion, acceptance and fulfillment. When the heart chakra is in balance we are able to give and receive love in a balanced and fulfilling way. When it is out of balance, we may suffer from depression, asthma, high blood pressure and respiratory problems.
Balancing the Heart Chakra through yoga practices is a perfect way to get in touch with it's energy, and to connect with the essence of compassion. Only when we can be compassionate towards our self, are we truly able to be compassionate towards another.
The Heart Chakra is the bridge between all the other Chakras. The Root, Sacral and Solar Plexus are all connected to our earthly existence, while the Heart takes us to the upper more spiritual aspects of our self and our connection to God.
Postures that open the chest are fantastic for the Heart Chakra. My three favorites are:
- Start on all fours.
- As you inhale push the back up like a cat.
- As you exhale arch the back and stick your pelvis up.
- Do several times.
- Build up your own rhythm and aim to do for up to 3 minutes.
- Using the Breath Of Fire breathe in on the up move and out on the down move.
- Start in a kneeling position.
- Slowly bend back from the waist until your arms reach the soles of your feet.
- If that is too difficult, place your hands on the hips and bend back until you feel a stretch in the legs.
- Hold the posture for a minute or so, breathing slowly and naturally.
- Lay on your stomach with your hands in line with your ears and forearms flat.
- Push up from the forearms and raise the head and chest off the ground.
- Hold the posture for a few slow natural breaths.
These simple practices can assist with opening the Heart Chakra and balancing it. I suggest laying in Shavasan or Child Pose after each posture to really get maximum benefits.