Guest Author - Tracy Webb
'When the body is in rhythm, there is ease.... but when any part of the body goes out of rhythm, there is dis-ease. Disease is nothing but an out of rhythm body'
The Sacral Chakra is the center of sexuality and reproduction. When it is in balance it manifests as pleasure, desire and harmonious procreation.It is probably the most universally imbalanced chakra; with sexual indiscretions being reported with increasing regularity.
This chakra is located midway between the navel and the pubic bone. It incorporates the lower stomach, genitals and the womb. It is the commonly referred to as the center of sexuality, creativity, creation and where we replenish our energy stores.
When the sacral chakra is out of balance it tends to manifest as conditions of the womb, genital, kidneys and bladder. This may be expressed as sexual frustration, attachment, fear, impotence and even lower back pain.
Desire arises with our emotions and sexuality as we long to connect with another intimately to bring forth new life or to relieve the loneliness of separation. This chakra is a double edged sword as sexuality is renowned for the extremes it is represented by, as mentioned above.
Balancing the sacral chakra through yoga practices is a lovely way to connect with and harmonize this chakra. Here are a couple of suggestions of postures that may help:
This asana is excellent for the root, sacral and solar plexus chakras. It is beneficial due to the flexibility to can bring to the spine and the increased blood flow to the vertebrae.
- Lie on your stomach on the floor with your hands at shoulder level.
- Breathe naturally, and push up onto your lower arms. The arms should not take the pressure of the lift, they are only for support.
- Keep the legs and feet together with the toes pointed.
- Stretch up and out of the hips and feel the spine stretch, do not take the arms off the ground.
- Take the head back slowly and look up as far as you can.
- Do not force the stretch, breathe into it and allow your body to yield to the stretch.
- Hold this posture for a few slow breathes
- To come out of the posture, bring your head down and slowly lower your body onto the floor.
- Repeat three times.
Half Lord Of The Fishes
- Sit on the floor with legs stretched out in front of you
- You can sit on a folded towel or blanket to support your buttocks
- Bend both legs with feet on the floor
- Bend the right leg at the knee and tuck it under your left leg till the foot touches the buttock
- Step the left leg over the right leg and pull the thigh into the abdomen
- Keep the legs tight together throughout
- Twist to the left. You can put your left hand on the floor behind you for support
- In this position place your right elbow on the outside of the right knee to deepen the twist
- Lift up from the waist to lengthen the spine and breathe naturally
- Your head should be facing the left and your torso should be twisted as much as is comfortable to the left side
- Hold this position for a few breaths or up to a minute
- To release the posture, slowly remove the right elbow from the right knee, and gently bring yourself back to the center
- Release your legs and stretch them in front of you for a few moments
- Repeat the whole procedure on the other side