Guest Author - Tracy Webb
Kundalini Yoga offers set sequences for specific conditions including anxiety, elimination, purification, flexibility and many more. The sequences are known as kriyas.
Our health and well-being are of the utmost importance to us so I offer here a kriya (sequence) to practice that will help prevent disease in your body.
The kriya works to stimulate digestion, assist meditation, encourage endocrine gland secretion and aid elimination, which in turn brings harmony to the whole body.
Kundalini Yoga Kriya to prevent disease:
1. To begin, sit on your heels with your arms raised above your head and hands together. Forcefully pump your stomach in and out while doing Breath Of Fire. Do this for between 1 and 3 minutes.
2. Next, still sitting on your heels, hold your hands in front of your chest with your fingers curled into each other (bear grip). When you inhale, hold your breath and pull the hands in opposite directions without breaking the grip. Exhale and relax. Repeat several times for up to 3 minutes.
3. Sit on your heels and interlock your fingers behind your neck. When you exhale bend forward and touch your head to the floor. Inhale and come back up to sitting. Repeat up to minutes.
4. Sit on the floor with legs stretched out in front of you. Bend forward and try to get your head to your knees and hold your toes. Stay in this position for up to 3 minutes breathing normally.
5. Sit cross-legged on the floor and slowly rotate the neck. Try to touch your ears to your shoulders. Do slowly for up to 2 minutes on each side.
6. On all fours do Cat Cow asana for up to 3 minutes. Do this quite quickly while performing Breath of Fire breathing.
7. Sit on your heels and do alternate shoulder shrugs. Raise and release each shoulder in quick succession while doing Breath of Fire. Ensure that you donít move your head.
8. Shavasana for up to 7 minutes. Completely relax your body.
9. Downward Facing Dog Ė hold this position for up to 5 minutes.
10. From standing, bend down and grab your ankles. Walk around the room while keeping your knees straight. Do this for between 1 and 3 minutes.
11. Shavasana or sit on a chair and relax.
All postures should be performed consciously, rhythmically and in tune with your breathing. The Breath of Fire greatly enhances any posture and will increase the benefits received.